Need some help beach fishing

Help on different Boatless Fishing locations.
kevingp
Seasoned Fisher

Need some help beach fishing

Post by kevingp »

So, I'd like to try my hand at some beach fishing. I've never done it before and I have a few questions.

1. I was hoping to fish south of the Boynton Beach Inlet. Is this possible? What should I look out for (i.e. rocks, snags, unsavory people, monsters, Frankenstein, etc.)?

2. My plan was to use a sabiki tipped with squid to catch pinfish or whatever other white bait I could get and use that with a fishfinder rig. Is this an ok method of catching bait? What should I do, if it's not? How much weight should I use?

3. Besides a head lamp, cooler, rods and tackle, is there anything special you guys recommend I bring with me?

Any other tips are appreciated.

Thanks!

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Re: Need some help beach fishing

Post by Boruchlen »

I can't answer about the bait, but don't forget a chair and even more importantly a sand pike. An +- 2" PVC tube that you can pound into the sand and then stick the butt-end of your rod into, to keep your rod out of the sand. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.
Courage is not a lack of fear, but the ability to act while facing fear

kevingp
Seasoned Fisher

Post by kevingp »

Boruchlen wrote:I can't answer about the bait, but don't forget a chair and even more importantly a sand pike. An +- 2" PVC tube that you can pound into the sand and then stick the butt-end of your rod into, to keep your rod out of the sand. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults
Damn, I forgot about that. Since I'm going tonight, I hope Wal Mart has those spikes.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

I'm so sorry that I only saw this now (@ 22:23) You can alway buy some pvc from home depot and make your own. 2" PVC, about 3' long with an angle cut out of the bottom to give you a spike. Much cheaper and thicker than the ones from BPS, but the BPS ones have a flared lip at the top to allow the reel to sit more comfortably without scratching it up. What time are you leaving? I can lend you some, I live in North Miami Beach.
It is a far better thing to have caught and lost, than to have never caught at all.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

BTW, if you can buy some sand fleas and crabs, they're not a bad idea now.

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

Boruchlen wrote:BTW, if you can buy some sand fleas and crabs, they're not a bad idea now.
both are great tastin especally the fleas :biglaugh:

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

fixed80 wrote:
Boruchlen wrote:BTW, if you can buy some sand fleas and crabs, they're not a bad idea now.
both are great tastin especally the fleas :biglaugh:
I guess ketchup can make ANYTHING taste good
:biglaugh:

fixed80
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by fixed80 »

kevingp wrote:So, I'd like to try my hand at some beach fishing. I've never done it before and I have a few questions.
1. I was hoping to fish south of the Boynton Beach Inlet. Is this possible? What should I look out for (i.e. rocks, snags, unsavory people, monsters, Frankenstein, etc.)?
dont think u have to look out for horrors :) but there are a series of rock piles south of boynton inlet. u could cast a lure or bait off the tips of the rocks in hoping for a snooky.

kevingp
Seasoned Fisher

Post by kevingp »

fixed80 wrote:
kevingp wrote:So, I'd like to try my hand at some beach fishing. I've never done it before and I have a few questions.
dont think u have to look out for horrors :) but there are a series of rock piles south of boynton inlet. u could cast a lure or bait off the tips of the rocks in hoping for a snooky.
I'm going to try that next time

permitchaser
BLACK FIN TUNA

Post by permitchaser »

kevingp wrote:
fixed80 wrote:
I'm going to try that next time
kevin be carefull fighting fish on the rocks at night

bolo
USER BANNED

Post by bolo »

kevingp wrote: 1. I was hoping to fish south of the Boynton Beach Inlet. Is this possible? What should I look out for (i.e. rocks, snags, unsavory people, monsters, Frankenstein, etc.)?

Thanks!

I would bring a few crosses and holy water. Silver chains wouldn't hurt either. When I fish in the Keys at night I have to fight off the Sea Hags. Good luck and God be with you.
The Judge asked the prostitute, "At what point did you realize you were raped?"
The prostitute replied (wiping away tears), "When the check bounced."

kevingp
Seasoned Fisher

Post by kevingp »

I'm going to try that next time[/quote]
kevin be carefull fighting fish on the rocks at night[/quote]

Oh I will! Those rocks look kinda gnarly as it is.

JSG2891
Seasoned Fisher

Post by JSG2891 »

I would recommend a cast net and a 5 gallon bucket..look for structure along the beach, the bait should be around there and so should the snook..also, look for birds feeding, they will help you locate fish. look for scattering baitfish, this means bigger predators are lurking. but the 5 gallon bucket for me is a must..i use this to hold my cast net, hold bait until i get it into a bait bucket, hold fish (ladyfish, catfish, jack) that i will keep for cut bait, and if you get a keeper snook you can put that in the bucket and take it with you.

Boruchlen
" Forum Mensch "

Post by Boruchlen »

bolo wrote:
kevingp wrote: 1. I was hoping to fish south of the Boynton Beach Inlet. Is this possible? What should I look out for (i.e. rocks, snags, unsavory people, monsters, Frankenstein, etc.)?

Thanks!

I would bring a few crosses and holy water. Silver chains wouldn't hurt either. When I fish in the Keys at night I have to fight off the Sea Hags. Good luck and God be with you.
Watsa matter Bolo? Sea hags like garlic? I'd be using tons of garlic. Now, if it was a cute looking vampiret, maybe I'd leave the garlic at home.

Captain Paul Wolter
Fisher

Post by Captain Paul Wolter »

Be careful fishing rocks or seawalls at night. Don't overlook fishing the actual beach itself, especially at night. Scout out some likely areas during the day, then go back when its dark. You dont really need bait at all...some big dark swimbaits, topwaters, and plugs like teh Rapala Husky Jerk or X Rap would work very well, esp w/ a nearly full or full moon!

Paul W

Lomax aka ZEBCO
SHARKER

Post by Lomax aka ZEBCO »

kevingp wrote:
Boruchlen wrote:I can't answer about the bait, but don't forget a chair and even more importantly a sand pike. An +- 2" PVC tube that you can pound into the sand and then stick the butt-end of your rod into, to keep your rod out of the sand. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults
Damn, I forgot about that. Since I'm going tonight, I hope Wal Mart has those spikes.
8) Don't buy those. But 2 inch 8 ft heavy pvc, or smaller if your rods fit, and cut at an angle in the very middle. Sharpen the edges a little, and you now have 2 sufficient 4 ft sand spikes. And make sure to buy a rubber mallet too. That lets you secure the spikes in the sand enough to fish a tighter drag if you choose without losing your equipment to a slob of some sort.

Return to “Fishing Location Help”