A lot of updates

Please share your reports from other Country's, we love to see what other lands have to offer and the adventure of how you hunt your fish.
Ken+
Old Salt

A lot of updates

Post by Ken+ »

Finally...new forum design...and looks like everything is running smooth again. I had tried to log on various times but I guess the switch over was underway.

May 26

Two friends of mine, Dave and Mike, had never caught a Longnose Gar. So we planned a day to give it a shot. Our original date was last weekend. However, heavy rainfall just before the weekend blew out the river. So we delayed the trip until this Sunday.

Here are some pictures of our wonderful gars.

By mid-afternoon, each of us had landed at least 5 gars. All of us had a couple of gar came off the hook right by shore just as we were netting it.

May 30

A few days ago, my friend Richard mentioned that there were small fish swarming all around his boat. I suspected that they were Alewife, and got a confirmation when Richard sent me a photo of a dead fish floating on the surface.

We tried for them on Monday after work but they ignored small chunks of nightcrawler or small segments of garden worm. They would circle our jigged bait...but they would not hit.

We tried it again today, and with a tip from the locals (ie. other boaters in the marina), we finally figured out what they wanted.

Alewife (Alosa pseudoharengus) - Species #389!

No, they were not snagged. I don't count snagged fish on my lifelist...nor do I think snagged fish is fair.

Jun 1

While trying to figure out how to catch Alewife the other day, I saw some Stickleback in the shallows. My guess was that these are Three-spined Stickleback. The Stickleback wouldn't take the flake of worm, but they attacked the swivels and splitshot with gusto. I thought that a dark coloured fly might get the Stickleback to bite firmly, so this was the result.

Smallest fly I've ever tied.

Even though it was a simple nymph pattern, it took me over 10 minutes to tie. Since the hook wire is so thin, I cannot put too much pressure on the wrap in fear of bending or even breaking off the hook point.

Before trying for the Three-spined Stickleback, I went to a little pond where Michael found Northern Redbelly Dace. I had not catch a Northern Redbelly Dace, but Michael reassured me that it was not hard. There were schools after schools of Northern Redbelly Dace and it took all of 30 seconds to catch one.

Northern Redbelly Dace (Chrosomus eos) - Species #390

Well, the fly worked for these guys. How about Stickleback?

So I went to a little spot where I knew Brook Stickleback existed. I could see some Brook Stickleback on nests and females were visiting the nest on occasion. They were not really in the mood to bite, perhaps too busy spawning. However, I did get a couple to finally take the hook.

So the fly worked for Brook Stickleback. It should work for Three-spined Stickleback too, right?

WRONG!

The Three-spined Stickleback continued to hit the swivel and split shots. Only on two occasions did the Sticklebacks sucked and spat the fly so fast that I didn't even have time to set the hook. I tried to tip the fly with a flake of worm but that did not induce more hits or a longer hold.

Well, back to the drawing board...the battle continues...

We spent the rest of the evening fishing for Alewife again, Richard, Michael and I. Michael got his lifer Alewife in no time and we kept some Alewife for future salmon bait. It was a fun filled afternoon of quickie fishing.

Jun 14 (weekend)

10 hours on the road, $200 spent over the weekend, 3 days, 30 hours fishing, a million of perch later...I got 9 species plus two ambiguous would be lifers...

You can read about it here...

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... nting.html

Here are the two ambiguous lifers...

1) A Redhorse with the body of a Shorthead Redhorse and the lips of a River Redhorse...

2) Golden Shiner body and fins but with fully scaled keel...I doubt the Rideau is full of Golden Shiner x Rudd hybrids...really don't know how to call these fish...

Sigh...the hunt for a River Redhorse continues...4 years and counting...

Here are the other non-lifer catches...

Yellow Perch

Channel Catfish

Emerald Shiner

Silver Redhorse

Sauger

Mooneye

Freshwater Drum

Pumpkinseed

Bluegill Sunfish

Jun 22

Here's the story...

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... tions.html

Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus) - Species #391!

And a bonus Grass Pickerel (Esox americanus vermiculatus)

Birthday boy got his lifer Rudd and Grass Pickerel too!

What the??? Steelhead on June 21st??? YES!!!

Birthday boy with his Steelhead of his own...

Freaking eh!!!

Jun 29

Full stories here.

http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca ... ifers.html

It was my birthday. I don't like to throw parties on my birthday...but instead rather spend a large part of it by myself fishing.

I set out to hunt down two species - the locally endangered Redside Dace and the common but elusive Longnose Dace.

Probably owing to everyone's birthday wishes, I found both!

Redside Dace (Clinostomus elongatus) - Species #392

Longnose Dace (Rhinichthys cataractae) - Species #393

Also caught this very stunning male spawning Blacknose Dace

Flipped some rocks to find crayfish

No better place to spend my day than this...

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Re: A lot of updates

Post by STRIZ »

Wow Ken

Another report that is like a book. Stellar stuff.

Dont know how you do it.

Flat out incredible. :cheers:
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

Kingofthesea
GOLIATH GROUPER

Post by Kingofthesea »

X2 with the sentiment of my brother above me........... your work always fascinates and I appreciate your sharing your a trip into a world I just never took the time to notice. Even more I get a kick out kid how you proudly post pictures of some of your smallest fish on a board with a bunch of boys that it seems "size matters" big always :auto:

If some of the buds I hang with get what they are really chasing today.....Rare gets his 58lb permit, Striz gets the 30lb bull dolphin, cvstrat a 94 lb. king in his yak, Miguelito's 12lb. bass, GK any big woman, Shos a 42" Dania snookie and on and on. I know exactly what my buds want. All big fish....and at the same time you chase a tiny 3 spine stickleback with the exact same gusto. And each of you getting one will result in the exact same explosion of excitement as the others will. Fishing is so cool.

Thanks again Ken
Those old queen slave owners that wrote our Constitution 200 years ago were brilliant.

"Every four years Americans get the President they deserve".

STRIZ
KING MACKEREL

Post by STRIZ »

Richard

Ken has and always will I guess be on the hunt for species variation.
Biologist wise ya know

This guy has passion above and beyond as do his friends.
I have a folder just for him and his reports printed to pdf.

Better than FWC site let me tell ya this gut is as pro as it gets

My hat off to you Ken

Where are you standing now?

450 species and counting?
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
EVEN WHEN THE NECK IS DIRTY

HumanClaymore
Seasoned Fisher

Post by HumanClaymore »

I can't say anything the other guys didn't say before me. This is pure excellence.
Do the truffle shuffle!

Ken+
Old Salt

Post by Ken+ »

Thanks for the kind words, guys! Along the way, I've talked to people who had been inspired by my passion to catch anything and everything that they now do the same. It really opens a whole world of adventure if you choose to embrace it.

That's not to say I don't love pulling on a big fish. I really do as well. Best case scenario is to combine a new species with an average size that is in the wow size...which is why I was so bent on shark fishing on my last trip to your beautiful state. :wink:

@ STRIZ, I'm at 393 species right now and trying to break 400 by the end of the summer. A friend of mine is currently just over 475. He has caught some awesome catches recently in Alaska. Maybe I'll post that report for him here tonight.

I can't wait to fish Florida again. On my past 3 trips, with a total of probably just under 2 months of time spent in the state, I've caught 84 new species (which is not counting recapture of species I've caught in other states, like Southern Kingfish, Gulf Kingfish, Pinfish, Bluefish...etc). Conservatively, I would say I've probably caught around 100 species in Florida (fresh + salt). And yet, there are still so many species I've yet to catch, from common pier fish like Lookdown and Black Margate, to pelagics like Kingfish and Bonito, to the deeper reef/wreck fish like Almaco Jack and Snowy Grouper, to some truly beasts like Goliath Grouper and Bull Sharks. Florida is truly the fishing capital of the world in my opinion! It is truly disgusting in all the best ways.

BoatlessFisherman
Fisherman - Owner - Administrator

Post by BoatlessFisherman »

Ken+ wrote: Florida is truly the fishing capital of the world in my opinion! It is truly disgusting in all the best ways.

Yes we are very lucky, I like the way you said it LOL, again Awesome Sharing Thank you
-Tommy A-

click, click, click, Fish ON - Over, Under, Over, Under Get out of my Way. Sound familiar.

Poseidon10/31
KING MACKEREL

Post by Poseidon10/31 »

Amazing report and photos as always. You have a true respect and passion for the sport. Gotta love that.

Return to “Other Countrys”